incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Explanation of STATUS file?
Date Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:32:59 GMT
I think there are mess of random rituals, like the STATUS file, that
are useful but adopted with various degrees of enthusiasm in various
groups.  It would be great to enumerate these and then let groups pick
and choose as they like.

Three example rituals or traditions -

  Committers proof read each others commits.
   To implement this one all the committers should strive to be
   subscribed to the right cvs generated mail.  Projects should
   encourage 3rd parties to do the same.  This highly focused
   proofreading can create a-lot of quality at very low cost.
   It is delightful to notice how different people notice very
   different things about any given change.

  Willful suppression of one's incredulity.
   Project participants attempt to bite their tongue and let
   experiments have a little headroom.  It often very interesting
   how long it takes an attempt to scratch an itch to transition
   into a useful solution to the problem being addressed.

  We don't do that! ... unless we ought to.
   All the rules tend to be guidance and can be overridden if
   that turns out to be a better tactic at the time.  This one
   is invoked only rarely, and then usually silently.  If you
   get into an argument that your in the "ought to" escape clause
   then your probably not.