incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@pobox.com>
Subject Thinking about roles...
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 13:55:36 GMT
It's much better to treat the various roles that individuals may adopt
as distinct attributions, or booleans, rather than try to sort them
into some hierarchy.  That helps to keep the discussion focused on how
the role managed: how people enter the role, what rights and
responsibilities come with it, and how they exit the role.  For example
pmc-member and apache-foundation-member are overlapping sets, but they
are different roles.  I
believe there are some examples of pmc-member that aren't committers to
anything, or even never have been.

Yeah, we have lots of roles.  Manager of release R, mailing list
moderator of mailing list Z, members of wheel on machine M, treasurer
of foundation A, participant in design debate D.  Many of these roles
are much more critical to the vibrant operation of the thang than the
ones with legal entanglements.  For example: performance-geek, or
documentation-writer in language L, operator of mirror,  Capturing
short descriptions of as many of these roles as possible is healthy.
Particularly because it avoids people getting all fixated about one or
two of these roles.

Roles are are also associated with entities ( R, Z, M, A, P, D).
Capturing short descriptions of those is healthy too.  I like the
glossary as about the right weight for getting started on those tasks.

I enjoy use the software OOP design paradigm, among others,  to think
about this tedium.  There is also the legal paradigms that overlay some
of it.

There are lots of other paradigms.  For example economists have
something they call a 'public-good' for example the levees along a
river are a public-good, as is a cure for cancer or RFC 2616.  Many
public goods are managed by people who adopt or are assigned the
responsible role over that good.  A levee for example fails if only one
of these people screws up anyplace along it's length.  A cure for
cancer on the other hand succeeds if any one of the people working on
it succeed.   We keep our source open to capture cool new (cures) to
our problems, we limit commit rights to help guard the quality
(security) of the code (and the project).

There is also a large literature on the theory of organizations.  Max
Weber, for example, wrote volumes on this as a consequence of picking
apart the Prussian government bureaucracy.  In fact he teased out
what's practically a moral framework: that people are impersonally
separate from their offices, that written down procedures guide
operations, that objective attention to  details and orders is "de
rigour", that people are treated fairly and impartially under the law,
etc.

We could us a modicum - not to hot, not too cold -  of that mixed  into
the foundation's operations.  I'm glad I trust the folks in incubator
that have taken on that task, since it's really easy to kill the
butterfly as you attempt to dissect it.

  - ben

ps. The analogies to how my teenage sons play Magic also amuse me.