incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: do no harm
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:49:13 GMT
At 10:31 AM -0500 11/7/02, Sam Ruby wrote:

>It appears that HTTPD has an unwritten rule that the person who puts forward a veto has
an obligation to at least convince one other committer that the veto has some basis (even
if that person does not necessary agree with the veto).

My experience has not indicated that. Instead, someone will place
a veto on the code, usually with an explanation why. On some
rare situations, someone will challenge the veto and say that it's
not a valid veto. The vetoer will then provide more information
to back-up their veto.

The only obligation on the person palcing the veto is that it must
be "justified." If one person thinks it's not, and another person
thinks that it is, then the veto *is* justified ("another" != the
vetoer). The veto must be proved invalid, not proved valid.