incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: veto stuff
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 12:49:19 GMT
11/7/2002 6:43:26 AM, Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.Coar@Golux.Com>
wrote:
>non sequitur.  if a veto is void, it isn't a veto and therefore
>isn't being overruled.

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=overruled

But, I see your point. We must treat vetoes like a Catholic
"divorce". The church doesn't acknowledge divorce, but it can say
the marriage never happened.

Likewise, we need to acknowledge that a project should define a
process whereby it can say the veto never happened. Or layout the
alternatives (including revolution -- voting with your feet).

The situation may be rare in some projects, like httpd, but no so
much elsewhere. I agree with everything you're saying about how
enlightened committers should behave, but we've seen this process
break down time and again.

It might be helpful if we explained why an unassailable veto is
absolute fundamental. I don't disagree, but to guide people into
the Apache Way, it is something we should articulate.

-Ted.