incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Sander Striker" <stri...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Code ownership (was Re: whoweare.html)
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 11:43:53 GMT

By simply telling them at the gate.  All code donations are ASF owned
on commit.

"just to leave their scent and to show me that I don't 'own' the code"

In other words, no functional change, or anything constructive.

And bragging about who wrote code is something personal.  Some people
do it, some people don't.  Some will fall down doing so, others won't.

Personally I've never seem people brag about code in the projects I'm
on.

> >>One thing that *could* be a problem is that @author tags can give the
> >>impression that a cretain piece of code is "maintained" by the authors,
> >>or that they are responsible for it, and this can reduce peer review.
> >

>> Yes.  Also, I think that placing author credit in every file
>> encourages territoriality and individualism while discouraging people
>> from thinking and acting as a team.
>
> But showing people that the 'good' code you wrote isnt?
>
> Sounds somewhat hypocritical...

Seriously, we have a SCM to find out who wrote what.  @author tags are
misleading to say the least.  The entire concept just asks for people
that are going to see in how many places they can get their name.
Committers fixing things are likely to forget to keep the authors tags
up to date anyway.

Sander