incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ted Husted <hus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: veto stuff
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 15:03:45 GMT
11/7/2002 8:58:52 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicolaken@apache.org>
wrote:
>What about rules for revolutionaries?
>It's quite easy to block (r)evolution by vetoes, and sometimes it
>just seems that the first one to commit will loose since it will
>get vetoed.
>
>Forking is the way to go for revolutionaries?
>
>I like the way Tomcat has dealt it, by an internal fork in CVS
>and majority vote to switch codebases.
>It was not nice for the community, but the community was split
>anyhow, and it solved the deadlock.

Yes, the Rules for Revolutionaries came about to make it clear
that our volunteers had just as much "right" to continue work on
evolving the original Tomcat codebase (3.x) as the
"revolutionary" committers had to work on the Catalina codebase
(4.x).

At the time, there was a lot of talk about how the "Community"
decided this or that, and many people invited the evolutionary
committers to setup shop on SourceForge. But rather than do that,
we used the Rules for Revolutionaries to justify setting up
parallel lines of development.

-Ted.