incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] drop @author tags from source files
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2002 12:41:22 GMT

- copying incubator general, because this basically ends a discussion I
had about author tags with a real-life example -

Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw a suggestion come by in that it might be a good idea to remove
> author tags from source files as it will help eliminate any community
> issues that arise from ego conflicts and/or 'personal playground'
> problems. Removing the tags sounds like a very pragmatic way of helping
> to remove any perception of code ownership.

There has been a thread over this thing on incubaror general some weeks
ago, and I was trying to say that it's important that we give credit.
It was replied that hey, you have credit in the project pages, in the
commit messages, no need for author tags...

Now, I have started to understand that having author tags has a downside
in projects that have problems. And that giving credit is most important
for people that are *outside* of the project, not inside.

> The only disadvantage I could see arising from this is that it might
> become more difficult to figure out who you need to talk to about a
> piece of code you're looking at. I think the solution to that is simple:
> indicate the software was authored by the avalon people, and reference
> avalon-dev. Whoever wrote that code should be around on avalon-dev :D

CVS commits have all the info needed.

> As to credit where credit is due....we have a list of contributors for
> that, and one can always look at the cvs commits.

Exactly :-)

> Hence I propose we do a global replace of
>
> @author Some Person
> (...)
> @author Other Person

> @author <a href="mailto:avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org">Apache Avalon
> Development Team</a>
>
> Here's a +1 from me.

+1

I would like to add, that maybe we should allow for author tags for
stuff submitted by external developers. I don't yet know if it's a good
idea, please let me know what you think.

Thanks.