incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: veto stuff
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 11:43:26 GMT
Ted Husted wrote:

> I agree with Steve in that the assertions that a "veto cannot be
> overruled" and a "veto must be justified" are contradictory. The
> implication is that a unjustified veto is void, but who decides it
> is void?

either the person being vetoed, who expresses it by committing anyway
(or failing to revert), or by some authority, such as the pmc or project
chair.

> And in deciding a veto is void, is it not being overruled?

non sequitur.  if a veto is void, it isn't a veto and therefore isn't
being overruled.

in the first case above, it isn't being overruled but ignored, and the
committer who proceeds anyway in the face of a veto needs to learn
that such behaviour is not on.  and if a veto is determined to lack
justification by some authority, the paragraph above applies.

commit access is a privilege, not a right.  one of the axiomatic
conditions of being granted commit access is obeying the community
rules and respecting one's peers.  if something is vetoed, the proper
pathways include: a) trying to convince the vetoer it's wrong; b) politely
honouring the veto and dropping the issue; c) developing an alternative
that addresses the concerns triggering the veto.  ignoring a veto
is not an option, in part because it is a breach of the community rules,
and in part because it shows a lack of respect.  one position or the other
must submit.  and committers who are intransigent in their refusal to
honour these basic principles need to be reminded of the privilege
versus right distinction.  in a nearly-worst-case scenario, all committers
are always free to vote with their feet, and our licence deliberately
permits forking code outside of the apache framework.

but if everyone remembers the privilege/right distinction, and the rule
of respect, this sort of issue should hopefully be extremely rare.