incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code ownership (was Re: whoweare.html)
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 06:36:20 GMT

Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Wednesday, November 6, 2002 2:31 PM +1100 Peter Donald
> <peter@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> If you do that then it would be unlikely to be changed. I think I
>> know what  Nicola is talking about and I think it is great :) You
>> may also notice that  the project who have the bigger healthier
>> communities (at least in  jakarta/xml land) tend to do this all the
>> time.
>
> Erk!  (tries to pick up jaw)

-helping to pick up jaw-

>> For example, someone submits some code that doesn't follow various
>> conventions  that have been established in the project. Do you tell
>> the contributor -  sorry can't take that till you fix it? No.
>> Usually what happens is that you  commit the code. Then you go
>> through and fix up style/semantic/logical  violations. As the
>> commit messages go past the end user sees the corrections.  Next
>> time they are more likely to work the way the project operates.
>

> Nuh-uh.  That's so wrong.
>
> You need to encourage providing feedback not doing someone else's job
> for them.
>
> "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
> Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Yeah, I know that.

There is also "do the work for me, and I won't complain" ;-)

> We should be attempting to fostering communities by teaching people the
> processes, not being arrogant and commiting their fixes for them.

Doing work for others is not arrogant. It's humility.

Arrogance would be to hold back a patch because it's not as I think is
should be.

>> If there are massive fixes required the user will generally see the
>> patch  rejected with recomendations for a fix but usually it is
>> better to commit and  teach by example IMHO.
>
> I couldn't disagree more.  If someone does a bogus commit, then it is on
> them to fix it.  Not me or anyone else.  Teach new committers to take
> responsibility for their actions.  If they refuse to fix it or revert
> their change, yank their commit privs (emphasis on privs not rights).

Ah, now *this* would not being arrogant?

"Fix it or I'll kill ya"?   ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -