incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [STATUS] (commons) Wed Nov 13 23:45:41 EST 2002
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2002 23:40:42 GMT
On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 08:22:04AM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >     o Default commit privileges
> >
> >       - Commons-wide
> >         +1:
> >         -1: gstein, striker, donaldp
> >
> >       - Per-component
> >         +1: gstein, striker, donaldp, jerenkrantz
> >         -1:
> >
> >       - Per-component with self-chosen aggregation
> >         +1: gstein, donaldp
> >         -1:
>
> Isn't this going down the path of creating yet another uber-umbrella
> project?  If we are going to maintain a separate set participants with
> separate commit and/or voting rights per component, shouldn't we instead
> encourage the creating of new PMC's?

IMO, no. The sets of committers on some of these components might only
number two or three. As a Director, I would never +1 a PMC that small.

If the components become "too large", then yes: they should spin out. But
until that determination is made, then a group of reusable components seems
like quite a fine charter.

Oh, and in a previous note, you took a comment of mine about Avalon totally
out of context, and attempted to hold it up relative to Apache Commons. The
simple answer is that I made a suggestion to the [future] Avalon PMC to not
divide up the committer/voter base because that kind of partitioning has
been an encouragement to factionalism. I believe the Avalon community needs
to learn how to work together, and that means no running off to your own
area, but to all work in the same box. If the PMC *does* decide to partition
voters, then fine. They are the people who knows what is best for Avalon --
I'm only trying to make suggestions on mechanisms which can help patch
things up. Simply stating, "oh, but we'll try to work together" may not be
as effective as "everybody gets to vote on that. deal."

I would also compare/contrast the oversight that can be applied from the
Apache Commons PMC relative to what has occurred elsewhere. I'm totally
comfortable knowing that we can have multiple voter/commit realms, *and*
avoid little fiefdoms or becoming an "uber-umbrella" (I like that term :-).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/