incubator-general mailing list archives

From Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>
Subject Re: Veto Early
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 01:37:18 GMT
On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 08:11:22PM -0500, Ben Hyde wrote:
> I don't know.  Each member of the community plays his 'negativity'
> cards as he pleases.  They are pretty obnoxious cards.  Inviting people
> to go negative early and often doesn't sound healthy.  Clearly there is
> something worth saying near here though.
>
> Player A might be a very low intensity player of high expertise, he
> reads his dev@ mail only once every one or two weeks - in that case his
> veto might arive very late in the unfolding of some proposal but his
> high level of expertise would mean it was highly respected.  A good
> example of this is edits I've gone negative about only while proof
> reading the cvs@ mail.
>
> Player B might prefer to remain civil and adopt a curious playful
> attitude so the conversation remains cheerful and constructive until it
> becomes obvious that something he feels extremely strongly about is
> beginning to look unavoidable; only then he might decide to escalate to
> a veto.
>
> Player C might be just like player B except rather than veto he might
> choose to escalate only to a high level of debate; remaining optimistic
> that will be enough to slow the proposal down until the discussion has
> had a chance to mature more.
>
> Player D might be like B and C but be extremely reluctant to ever use
> his negativity cards because he considers them too corrosive to the
> long-term health of the game.  He might never veto.
>
> I think what your really saying is that it's way
> abrasive/inconvenient/whatever when players show up late in the game
> and then escalate rapidly with high negativity - something that
> communicates that.. I can agree with.

Well said. I find myself in a few of the above scenarios from time to
time. :)

Negative votes (aka vetos) do not have to connote a negative attitude.
Communication is top priority, and stating one's intentions early can save
unnecessarily negative situations later. The HTTPD Project Guidelines[1]
(not sure if this is an official document or just something that has
withstood CVS commit without change) states:

"Voters intending to veto an action item should make their opinions
known to the group immediately, so that the problem can be remedied as
early as possible."

I think that is a much better way of stating it than I did above. :)

-aaron

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html