incubator-general mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code ownership (was Re: whoweare.html)
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2002 02:09:33 GMT
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:13, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Bottom line - there is positive
> stuff that came out of the work you did.

Bottom line, code doesn't matter, never has and probably will - at least in
projects I am a part of. The most important thing is the collaboration and
working together. Apache is not a place to dump code but a place to build and
maintain a community.

I don't really care how OMG operates, I don't really care why you believe
Apaches rules suck I don't really care if you believe that "the Avalon the
Community has nothing to offer" if they don't follow your recomendations. If
you have something constructive and positive to offer then present it to the
community and we can decide whether it is of value and if we want to go down
that path.

You tried to apply changes to code that you have never participated in. Do a
"cvs log | grep mcconnel" on either the jakarta-avalon-cornerstone or
jakarta-avalon-phoenix. The only (non-vetoed) changes you made were prior to
you becoming a committer and were fixes for broken documentation generation.

It was innapropriate behaviour to commit those changes when vetos stood -
especially given that you didn't participate in those communities (not to
mention being highly critical of them). The two committers who supported you
have since appologized on avalon-dev for their behaviour and tried to make
amends.

In a recent email you wrote;

"I wanted to leverage ideas, beliefs, opinions - and through
this process, enhance and improve not only the content that I committed,
but also I to pay-back the confidence that the Avalon project had placed
in me when they voting me into this community."

All I can say is that the ball is in your court.

Start caring about the whole of Avalon rather than your patch is one of the
first things to do. Just have a look at avalon-user list and count the number
of your recent replies where you have not treated helping the user as an
advertising exercise. Look at the number of times you have helped a user with
something that you didn't write.

Also begin to look at what code you work on. Is it chance that you are the
only person who works on that code? Even Paul doesn't touch it when he fixes
up ant files.

In the meantime the rest of us will continue moving forward.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and
human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." -Albert Einstein