incubator-general mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code ownership (was Re: whoweare.html)
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:58:22 GMT
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:35, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > For example, someone submits some code that doesn't follow various
> > conventions  that have been established in the project. Do you tell
> > the contributor -  sorry can't take that till you fix it? No.
> > Usually what happens is that you  commit the code. Then you go
> > through and fix up style/semantic/logical  violations. As the
> > commit messages go past the end user sees the corrections.  Next
> > time they are more likely to work the way the project operates.
>
> Nuh-uh.  That's so wrong.
>
> You need to encourage providing feedback not doing someone else's job
> for them.

It is the whole cost/benefit ratio. Usually it is usally easier to make the
fixes, give a useful commit message that possibly points to relevent projects
resources (ie checkstyle config, design guidelines or whatever).

In cases where the cost of fixing is higher than detailed explanation then the
patches get rejected.

> "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
> Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
>
> We should be attempting to fostering communities by teaching people
> the processes, not being arrogant and commiting their fixes for them.

Thats funny. I figured thats what was happening :) Cocoon doesn't seem to have
been harmed because of it.

> > If there are massive fixes required the user will generally see the
> > patch  rejected with recomendations for a fix but usually it is
> > better to commit and  teach by example IMHO.
>
> I couldn't disagree more.  If someone does a bogus commit, then it is
> on them to fix it.

Agree with that. We aren't talking about committers here though. We are
talking about developers in wide world who submit code via patches to mailing
list or bugzilla.

> Not me or anyone else.  Teach new committers to
> take responsibility for their actions.  If they refuse to fix it or
> revert their change, yank their commit privs (emphasis on privs not
> rights).

yanking doesn't happen.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Clarke's Third Law: "Any technology distinguishable from
magic is insufficiently advanced".