incubator-general mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Code ownership (was Re: whoweare.html)
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:31:11 GMT
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 14:05, B. W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I find code ownership a problem that can and must be prevented and
> > resolved in the community. A trick that seasoned committers do on new
> > committers is to change their first commits and work on them, to show
> > that the code is of everyone. If they complain, it's time for a nice and
> > bold explanation.
> >  From my experience on this, it's not something one forgets easily ;-)
> Are you serious? Quite frankly, I find that behavior reprehensible--It
> reeks of strange fraternity initiation rites.
> If I write, test, and commit a piece of good solid code

If you do that then it would be unlikely to be changed. I think I know what
Nicola is talking about and I think it is great :) You may also notice that
the project who have the bigger healthier communities (at least in
jakarta/xml land) tend to do this all the time.

For example, someone submits some code that doesn't follow various conventions
that have been established in the project. Do you tell the contributor -
sorry can't take that till you fix it? No. Usually what happens is that you
commit the code. Then you go through and fix up style/semantic/logical
violations. As the commit messages go past the end user sees the corrections.
Next time they are more likely to work the way the project operates.

If there are massive fixes required the user will generally see the patch
rejected with recomendations for a fix but usually it is better to commit and
teach by example IMHO.

> and someone
> else goes pissing in it just to leave their scent and to show me that
> I don't 'own' the code, I am *not* going to be amused by it.

Not many people are - they soon learn or leave. Usually a good test of
maturity ;) If someone has a fit because their curly bracket got moved then
do you really think they get collaborative development?

Peter Donald
When a stupid man is doing something he's ashamed of,
he always declares that it is his duty.
					George Bernard Shaw

View raw message