incubator-general mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Subversion
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 23:33:07 GMT
On Wed, 6 Nov 2002 07:49, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> [cross-posting to general@incubator because of radical suggestion]
> Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > Sander and I have volunteered in the past to maintain a
> > SVN repository on icarus.  I'll reiterate my offer.  When
> > we've brought SVN up on the infrastructure@ lists, people
> > wanted to see an early adopter before we deploy it.  I
> > think it makes sense for us to be that early adopter.
> actually, i think it would make much more sense for the
> early adopter to be the incubator project, since codebases
> coming in there should have no prior existence in apache-land,
> nor any subsequent need to merge histories from elsewhere.
> as opposed to commons, which is going to be (at least partially)
> populated by codebases moving from elsewhere within apache.
> better to use the new stuff for things making a clean start,
> i think.

Maybe ;) But for completely selfish reasons I would also like to see it at
commons (in addition to if necessary). The reason being that we could then
start importing code into Apache Commons now - right away. If we get the
structure wrong we can then change it by just moving files - without harming
our users, without loosing history and without any ugly CVS hacks.

Peter Donald
| You can't wake a person who is pretending      |
|       to be asleep. -Navajo Proverb.           |

View raw message