incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Subversion
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 01:55:05 GMT
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 08:32:43PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> okey, there seem to be answers to all my concerns (though i have a new one,
> below).  i'm still +1 in the incubator doing it, and -0 on commons at this
> point.
>
> with all this talk of dav, et cetera -- can svn work with a local repository
> without requiring the network or a properly-configured web server?

You betcha!

The access control goes out the window, though (*). But given that anybody
on icarus has a right to be there, it isn't a big deal.

For example:

[gstein@roshi src]$ svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/incubator/trunk incubator
 checkout occurs

or:

[gstein@icarus src]$ svn co file:///home/svnrepos/incubator/trunk incubator

Pretty cool, eh? :-)  On the file: case, no server is needed.

And no, SVN cannot be piped thru ssh like CVS can. You can tunnel the
DAV-based network connection, but that still implies a server on the target
box. Essentially, SVN uses the web's SSL infrastructure rather than the
SSH-based infrastructure.

Cheers,
-g

(*) the real answer here is a bit more complex, so I'm skipping that for
    now, to stay focused on the original question. happy to discuss further.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/