incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: Subversion, WAS: RE: CVS/Mail Organization Feedback
Date Tue, 05 Nov 2002 22:57:40 GMT
On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:46:21PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Leo Simons wrote:
> >
> > > +1 on using Subversion.  But hey, I'm biased ;)
> >
> > I'd like to add a non-binding +1 here, which is unbiased :)
> >
> > I've never heard anyone who's seen subversion who didn't think
> > it was a lot better than CVS.
>
> i haven't used it [yet], but i'm -1 on being the first project
> in the asf to go with it without some input from the infrastructure
> people.

Lessee... Justin and Sander are on the infrastructure "team" and both have
full commit access to SVN itself. I'll do what I can to help, but am already
pretty full up.

IOW, I think you've already got the input you need :-)

> for instance, aside from the history import aspect,
> how does it mesh with viewcvs?

Pretty well, but there are more things that could be done. I expect we'll
see some of that come out once the ASF starts to deploy SVN.

> the equivalent of anoncvs?

Even easier, as Justin pointed out.

> and
> do we really want to put the burden of maintaining two cms
> systems on collab,

The infrastrutcure guys are assuming the burden.

> plus prototype all the infrastructural glue
> necessary to fit in with the existing cvs repositories?

Not sure what you mean. The two systems will be separate, so I'm not sure
what glue will be there.

> i say not.  let's wait for the infrastructure team to work on
> it.  we can volunteer to be one of their early adopters, but
> i don't think we should go it alone.

They'll get it set up. Maybe put their own stuff into it first. I'd say we
jump in, too :-)

Cheers,
-g

--