incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Code ownership (was Re: whoweare.html)
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2002 03:53:15 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Erenkrantz" <jerenkrantz@apache.org>
> --On Wednesday, November 6, 2002 2:31 PM +1100 Peter Donald
> <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> > For example, someone submits some code that doesn't follow various
> > conventions  that have been established in the project. Do you tell
> > the contributor -  sorry can't take that till you fix it? No.
> > Usually what happens is that you  commit the code. Then you go
> > through and fix up style/semantic/logical  violations. As the
> > commit messages go past the end user sees the corrections.  Next
> > time they are more likely to work the way the project operates.
>
> Nuh-uh.  That's so wrong.
>
> You need to encourage providing feedback not doing someone else's job
> for them.
>
> "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
> Teach a man how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
>
> We should be attempting to fostering communities by teaching people
> the processes, not being arrogant and commiting their fixes for them.

I agree with Nicola on this, and it's important that this technique isn't
done in an arrogant way or in lieu of talking, feedback, and teaching.  It's
done simply to get contributors to realize their code has become part of a
team's codebase.  It helps avoid territorial issues down the road.

Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/