incubator-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: APR-Serf
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:47:26 GMT

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> /CCing incubator/
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> >

> >>I also don't think that the PMC should set guidelines on a release
> >>(other than 3 binding +1s) or on coding style or on build systems.
> >>Leave that up to the committers.  The PMCs job should be to stay the
> >>heck out of the way of the committers.  If the committers need help,
> >>they can ask the PMC for guidance, but let's not have a PMC that
> >>dictates from upon high.
> >
> > I'm assuming other things would exist. A project must have a
> > PROPOSAL.html. A project must maintain a STATUS.html. A release must have
> > a release manager.
> In Forrest, we have decided to keep the information about the project in
> xml files.
> Module.xml is a descriptor of the CVS module and the project it
> contains, with goals, license, credits, project-related info and
> dependencies with other projects.
> In status.xml there are the committers, the todo and the changes.
> Forrest already makes info based on status, and we'll get module.xml
> done too soon:
> What do you think, could this be an option?

I'm not that bothered, so I'll immediately be a hypocrit and suggest +ves
and -ves.

XML is a better storage mechanism but a worse presentation mechanism
[using w3m to view an xml file probably isn't as exciting as a html. but
it's a minor thing outweight by the advantage of a structured file].

XML is usually a finite domain, whereas HTML is infinite. By that I mean
that if we used XML to record this information then it would as I said be
more structured, but would also be limited. If someone wanted to add some
more information, then they have to request new tags? Or would it be
free-flow xml? In a HTML one the information is unbounded but

I guess it just depends on whether the existing proposal/status files out
there are deemed to be enough evolving to define a standard. Which brings
on the arguments over whether maven's project.xml, forrest's module.xml
etc should be the standard :)

Really my initial mail was that the information in PROPOSAL.html and
STATUS.html should exist in each project, and that A-C as a project
probably wants to standardise how to store this information. Using the
same system as J-C is not mandatory.

View raw message