incubator-general mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: My opinion on Incubator
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:17:51 GMT
and some thoughts of costin's that i think deserve attention.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: My opinion on Incubator
Date: 21 Oct 2002 20:14:32 -0700
From: Costin Manolache <cmanolache@yahoo.com>

So the way I would like incubator working:

1. An opt-in mailing list opened to all apache committers. As more
projects get into Incubator - and I suspect you may have some -
more lists can be created, with the main list used for coordination.

2. All new incubator projects will be open to all interested
apache committers. That's how the sandbox works - and it's IMO the
only way, since the project doesn't yet have a real apache community.

3. One of the criteria for promotion will be the community that
the project has. I would say - the main one.

4. Decisions will be made ( or at least recommended ) by incubator
commiters. Since those will be apache commiters who are interested in
the new things - that means apache commiters ( who care about the
issue ) will decide.

5. "Lessons" will be taught more by example and clear documents,
including things that really matter - like step-by-step description
of the bureaucratic procedures and a clear explanation ( confirmed
by the ASF board or lawyer ) on what licenses are permitted.
And of course, updated and exemplified rules, including the
veto ( both sides ).

Some things I wouldn't like or I don't think will work:

1. PMCs making the decisions ( doesn't matter if it's jakarta
or xml or incubator ). No PMC has magic balls, and the PMCs
are supposed to represent apache commiters ( well, actually
apache members - as they 'own' this organization ). It is
essential for them to recognize what their commiters want -
and if possible let them make the decision.

2. The "Apache Way" as a religious/political propaganda. Everyone
has its own view on what the "Apache Way" is. I think
'everyone having its own view' is the "Apache Way" - a 'cooperating
 but diverse culture '. Attempting to create a propaganda
or something that doesn't match the real world will
just destroy trust.