incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: APR-Serf
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:34:33 GMT

/CCing incubator/

Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>

>>I also don't think that the PMC should set guidelines on a release
>>(other than 3 binding +1s) or on coding style or on build systems.
>>Leave that up to the committers.  The PMCs job should be to stay the
>>heck out of the way of the committers.  If the committers need help,
>>they can ask the PMC for guidance, but let's not have a PMC that
>>dictates from upon high.
>
> I'm assuming other things would exist. A project must have a
> PROPOSAL.html. A project must maintain a STATUS.html. A release must have
> a release manager.

In Forrest, we have decided to keep the information about the project in
xml files.

There are two files: module.xml and status.xml.
Examples from Forrest CVS:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-forrest/module.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/xml-forrest/status.xml?rev=1.20&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Since they have stylesheets, opening them in the browser shows:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/module.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/xml
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/xml-forrest/status.xml?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/xml

Which is quite cool IMHO.

Module.xml is a descriptor of the CVS module and the project it
contains, with goals, license, credits, project-related info and
dependencies with other projects.

In status.xml there are the committers, the todo and the changes.

Forrest already makes info based on status, and we'll get module.xml
done too soon:

  http://xml.apache.org/forrest/changes.html
  http://xml.apache.org/forrest/todo.html

What do you think, could this be an option?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -