incubator-general mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The Incubator site
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:34:39 GMT
On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:22, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 10:21:55AM +1100, Peter Donald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Another thing that I have suggested before is .... create an repo like
> > jakarta-site which has all the latest uptodate jars. Make sure that you
> > are going to retain backwards compatability and then publish it's
> > existence.
> >
> > Then others can rely on this single repo to build their stuff rather than
> > every joe checking in binaries to their own CVS. It was one of the key
> > features that got me to dump all our cocoon based docs and move to
> > anakia.
>
> Eewwww..no binaries in CVS please.
>
> Feel free to stick up a big tarball or zip full of binaries, but that
> stuff doesn't belong in CVS, IMHO.

Okay then. However it should be noted that because Java lacks the ability to
manage shared libraries effectively (at all!!!). Hence you could be
downloading 10 MB each time something changes or updates. See jakarta-site
module for an example of how often changes are made...

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
When a stupid man is doing something he's ashamed of,
he always declares that it is his duty.
					George Bernard Shaw