incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: The Incubator site
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:59:20 GMT
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 12:22:30PM -0800, Aaron Bannert wrote:
> binaries in CVS please.
> Feel free to stick up a big tarball or zip full of binaries, but that
> stuff doesn't belong in CVS, IMHO.

Oh, don't *even* get me started on binaries in CVS.

CVS has zero concept of scalability. It *can* and *does* consume as much RAM
as it wants. And binaries is a major reason why it will consume memory.

Switch to Subversion(*). At least it won't hork your server when you shove a
gigabyte of data into it.

p.s. /me notes that a lack of a ViewCVS equiv was the reason to avoid SVN
     for a while; /me further notes that ViewCVS now has SVN capability...

Greg Stein,

View raw message