From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Configure directory and file permissions on native file system
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:31:23 GMT
Dan:

I agree this is crazy and needs to be fixed. The only question in my
mind is how. Java doesn't allow one to atomically create a file with
specific permissions so there's always a window where one must create
a file and then change permissions (which still suffer from a strange
API due to the cross platform goals of Java). Hadoop skirts this issue
when security is enabled by using native code and JNI. We could do the
same at the cost of some (some may argue a lot of) complexity. I'm
99.9% sure dfs.umask only applies to HDFS (where the API can be
specialized and controlled).

--
Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer