From Joe Crobak <joec...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: buffered sink decorator practices
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 14:46:50 GMT
Since I've spent some time working on this, I thought I'd share my findings
and reiterate a question below.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM, Joe Crobak <joecrow@gmail.com> wrote:

> We've written a simple sink decorator to do in-memory aggregations.
>  Currently, we're using a roll sink to cause the aggregator decorator to be
> closed/reopened ever 60 seconds.  Based upon the info in [1], by default the
> close() operation has 30 seconds to complete.  We're seeing this fail in
> some cases due to other bottlenecks. I'm hesitant to just up the timeout,
> though, since long GCs or other events could cause the problem regardless of
> the timeout.
>
> With all this in mind, I have two questions.
> 1) Rollsink and BatchingDecorator seem to share a lot of similar logic to
> run a background thread to flush events periodically. There seems to be a
> lot of subtly in these implementations to avoid deadlocks.  Are either of
> these suitable for subclassing? (I guess BatchingDecorator is closer to what
> I'm looking for)... has anyone ever done this before?

I tried to subclass BatchingDecorator, but it didn't quite work.  I need
access to BatchingDecorator's super-classes' append() method.  I suspect it
might be useful to expose an abstract class with the core-logic of
time-based and count-based "batching" -- or am I the only one with this
problem? If others are interested, I could start a patch.

> 2) It's possible for our sink decorator to generate more events than it
> receives, so I am afraid it could become behind -- are there dangers in
> using a threadpool to call append() from a decorator to forward events to
> the collector?

I'm still wondering if a decorator might call through to its sink with a
background threadpool.  Any thoughts about whether this is a
good/bad/terrible idea?

Thanks,
Joe