incubator-flume-dev mailing list archives

From Arvind Prabhakar <arv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Poor code reviews
Date Sun, 04 Mar 2012 04:49:02 GMT
On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 7:10 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2012, at 1:17 AM, Arvind Prabhakar wrote:
>
>> Hi Ralph,
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>> Actually, I meant to post a few days ago as I very much dislike the email traffic
in this list.  In all the projects I participate on I separate Jira messages out and place
them in their own folder so that I can more easily follow the human generated traffic. Unfortunately,
it seems that I can't really do that in this list because the review messages show up such
that they are indistinguishable from a normal reply. In fact, once I replied before I realized
I needed to go into the review to make the comment. In addition, I believe all of these also
appear in the Jira issue and email.  The end result is I end up deleting a lot of emails
without reading them but I'm unsure if I'm missing something I should have looked at. Also,
the review tool seems to cause way more emails than I am used to from other projects.

>> Not sure if you are suggesting that the excessive email traffic comes
>> in the way of you participating in code reviews. If so, how do you
>> suggest we fix it?

 Review emails could be routed there or to a separate review@ list.

Personally - I don't mind having a separate issues and reviews list if
that's what everyone prefers.

> 2. It appears to me that duplicate emails are being generated. The Review tool is sending
the review comments to the dev list. Jira is then sending the same comments as Jira updates.
Eliminate one set of those emails if possible.

We want review comments to be captured on the Jira to which the change
is associated for the complete context to be in one authoritative
place. And the unfortunate side effect is double notification (review
board, and Jira). Perhaps we can ask infrastructure@ to mute out Jira
notification triggered by jiraposter@reviews account for our project.

> 3. Switch to CTR ;-)  That would change the way either the Review tool or Jira is used.
(Too be honest, I don't mind the review tool. I just find using the Review tool AND Jira AND
svn to be overkill).

:-)
I personally don't think that is a good idea though.

Thanks,
Arvind

>>> Just to put this in perspective, I follow over 30 mailing lists plus my normal
work email.  I get several hundred emails a day from the ASF so anything that can be done
to improve this is a big help.