From Michael Sumner <msum...@nbs.com>
Subject RE: Flex Design view removed
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:14:46 GMT
I agree with Miguel.

The uses and thoughts are spot on.

-----Original Message-----
From: Miguel Vaz [mailto:pagongski@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:51 AM
To: flex-users@incubator.apache.org; jeffry@dot-com-it.com
Subject: Re: Flex Design view removed

I second the opinion that the design view is valuable to the IDE. Being a seasoned flex developer,
this is not an opinion from a newbie.

Advantages of the Design View (DV):

For newcomers:

- Easy gateway to the flex way of things;
- Invaluable for small projects with a deadline in the near past (this one applies to both
new and experienced devs).

For experienced devs (my personal experience):

- Easy jumpstart to simple projects;
- Easy jumpstart to not so simple projects - even if it implies some cleanup afterwards -
we can have a moderately working mockup up and running much more easily if we use the DV;
- Facilitates navigation - like someone already mentioned, we switch to DV, click on a component,
switch back to Code View(CV) to have the cursor on the appropriate line;
- I can get halfway coding a project, but somewhere along the line, i always use DV for something,
from aligment or some other minor stupidity;
- DV can add some lag (seconds), but i never noticed it being anywhere near troublesome or
to interfere with work;

Abstract:

- Again, like someone else said, Design View exists in all major languages IDEs and, no matter
how you look at it, it IS a marketing fishhook;
- Hardcore code ninjas surely think DV is obsolete, but its undeniable that it has its place
and importance on a full fledged IDE product;
- Adobe keeps making these weird marketing decisions to my amazement and is screwing many
people's coding lives and love for flex.

This is merely my personal opinion. And to me is one more small thing to add to the slow poisoning
of flex. I had other things to add, but quite honestly, i cant remember them right now. :-P

Miguel Vaz