From Peter Ent <p...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Flex Design view removed
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:13:51 GMT
I've used Flex since its inception and I have always used Design View to
begin a new MXML component. As a pretty seasoned UI developer, having a
visual tool that lets me quickly sketch a component made it much easier to
get started. I would think this would be especially true for new-comers.

The Apache Flex project enables us to get a fresh start and develop our
own Design tool. It may be not integrated with an IDE, but I don't think
that matters too much. I don't know about you, but I always have several
development tools open at once, so this wouldn't be anything different
from the way I normally work.

Imagine if the tool created an XML file with layout and style information
in a language-agnostic format. We could write a set of ActionScript
classes to load this file at runtime and dynamically build the UI (I did
something very much like this for an Adobe project called "Mosaic").
Further, you could have a set of these files - one for each type of device
or situation the app supported - and load the appropriate one: one app,
multiple looks (even supporting I18N).

So rather than focus on the past and what Adobe has (or has not) done, we
could look to the future and develop something better that (tries to
anyway) avoids a number of pitfalls from previous versions.

Peter Ent
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems