From Julio Carneiro <ju...@4ctv.com>
Subject Re: Flex Design view removed
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:47:29 GMT
Hi Chris,

Same here. Back in 2004/5 I started looking at solutions to provide web access to our apps.
That was AJAX time and I did various experiments with AJAX to test the waters and check the
platform.
By chance I bumped into Flex & FB. First thing that caught my attention was FB's design
view. There was nothing similar in AJAX camp at the time, and 8 years down the road, now the
buz is HTML5/JS and still here is nothing even close to FB's design view!

As others have said, this is a major marketing disaster. Some of you may not use design view,
and some may even loathe it. But that is sure a major differential against the competition.
I personally voiced my opinion to Adobe Flex team in 2010, at MAXX, when they first floated
the idea of removing DV from FB.

But hey, Adobe has quit on Flex already, so why would they pursue FB. I believe FB 4.7 to
be its last version, unfortunately. FB was (is) a great product, sorry to see it go.

cheers,
julio

On Dec 13, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Chris Curnow <chris@4cast.com.au> wrote:

> I agree with Marcus.
>
> I come from an environment in which there is no equivalent of the code view - everything
is designed by placing objects on the form.

> It was beautiful to come over to Flex and be able to create an place objects on the fly.
>
> I really found I hardly ever used the DV and when I did, it was really clunky. I ended
up creating the objects in code and then running the app to see what they looked like.

> The only thing someone mentioned was drag and drop onto a data grid, but hey that's such
a tiny bonus I'd happily do without it.

> regards
>
> Chris
>

> Chris Curnow | 4Cast.com.au | chris@4cast.com.au | ph: +613 9866 8999
>

> On 13/12/2012, at 9:35 PM, Marcus Fritze <marcus.fritze@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> To be honest, I am really happy that the design view was removed from FB. Design
view is maybe nice for small projects. But when your project gets bigger and bigger the design
view is always a pain. When I load a mxml in my flash builder, the editor hangs circa 3 seconds
while loading the design view for this mxml file. This happens even in the code-view!

--
Julio Carneiro