From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Embedded fonts, mixed FTE/Textfield components, and embedAsCFF
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 17:01:08 GMT

On 11/16/12 8:42 AM, "Russell Warren" <russ@perspexis.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a non-mobile application where I'm embedding a font.  I was also
> experiencing unacceptable list rendering delays so I have ended up
> occasionally using item renderers subclassed from LabelItemRenderer (in
> mobilecomponents.swc) for the huge speedup they provide, as well as the
> simplicity of the StyleableTextField that is embedded.
>
> However, I'm now running into font issues and am getting this error:
>
> warning: incompatible embedded font 'Vera' specified for
>> itemrenderers::FastLabelRenderer (FastLabelRenderer528) . This component
>> requires that the embedded font be declared with embedAsCFF=false.
>

> On investigation, it appears that this is due to the mix of FTE/TLF used by
> Spark components, and the old-school TextField based StyleableTextFiled
> embedded in LabelItemRenderer.  It seems that each require different values
> (true/false) on embedAsCFF.
>
> I've set the font for the entire application (and its loaded modules) using
> this styling code:
> http://static.inky.ws/syn/611
>
> A sample item renderer I'm using to get fast rendering on a desktop app is
> here:
> http://static.inky.ws/syn/613
>
> So - how do I embed a font and get seamless use of that font across the
> different text field types without the embedAsCFF issues?
>
> Russ
If you need TextField in order to get the performance you need (which is
what LabelItemRenderer does, IIRC, then you will need to embed fonts with
embedAsCFF=false.

By doing so, you are giving up on left-to-right text.  If you can afford to
do that, you can consider replacing all text controls with MX versions, but
then you will lose out on Spark skinning.

Unfortunately, that is a trade-off you will have to make.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team