From Michael Wissner <mwiss...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: What is the general perception of Apache Flex and Flash in mid 2012?
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 19:53:58 GMT

Isn't this the flex-users list?  There is a flex-dev list for those who
want to develop flex.  Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of this list.  This is from
the Apache web site:

------
Development Mailing List
(flex-dev)

This is where the project community hangs out. This list is used to coordinate
activities and ensure we are all pulling in the same direction.

Flex Users Mailing List (flex-users)

This is where community users can get together and discuss flex. This list is not
intended for discussions that should take place on flex-dev. All discussions on this
list are unofficial discussions. Use this list to get help from fellow flex devlopers,
to discuss how you use flex, etc...

----------

My interpretation of this statement of purpose is that flex-users is a place for *users* to
voice their concerns.  Developers have other forums.

>   That is perfectly acceptable, if you have no interest in contributing
> to the Flex SDK; there is no need to be on the list.

So I am not sure this list is what you think it is.

If I am wrong, please let me know the list that is for users to discuss their needs and expectations.
 In that case I'd also suggest you rename this list to something else.

Michael

> Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:27:55 -0400
> From: jeffry@dot-com-it.com
> To: flex-users@incubator.apache.org
> CC: gary@shortsands.com
> Subject: Re: What is the general perception of Apache Flex and Flash in mid 2012?
>
> On 6/27/2012 12:43 PM, Gary Griswold wrote:
> > OK, I will unsubscribe.  My plan is to continue development in Flex with my current
project over the next 12 months, and then see the status of things and decide what to do.

>   That is perfectly acceptable, if you have no interest in contributing
> to the Flex SDK; there is no need to be on the list.
>
>   Despite the coldness of my original post, there are ways to contribute
> without devoting tons of time writing code:
>
> 1) If you find an error, be sure to file a bug report (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX )
> 2) If you fix an error that is relevant to your own development, you can
> file a bug report and include your fix as a patch.
> 3) If can also submit feature requests in the JIRA bug base.
> 4) Write and provide documentation
> 5) Write and provide code samples
>
>   However, I, personally, do not want to be treated as "The private
> development team" of every Flex developer.
>
> > It is much more feasible for me to buy Sencha's Flex to JS translator than it is
to spend time doing source code development.