From Gary Griswold <g...@shortsands.com>
Subject Re: What is the general perception of Apache Flex and Flash in mid 2012?
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:57:29 GMT
Hi,

While I agree in general with the last three emails on the importance of Flex, I am worried.
 In the last 6 months since Apache started work on Flex, I have seen no discussion about features,
and no plans of development.  So, while I really want Flex to survive and grow, I am among
those who are worried that my recent development work might all need to be rewritten (or hopefully)
converted to JS.  If any of you know where concrete information about plans and progress can
be found, I think it needs to made more available to the public.

The following link was last updated in April when there was a conference, and only mentioned
some of the more important attendees, but no substance.  There was a link to the 360flex conference,
which I viewed over the web.
https://blogs.apache.org/flex/

The conference was encouraging that Adobe was donating a little more work soon to be finished,
but the conference gave little to no indication of what was going to happen to Flex within
Apache.
http://www.360flex.com/

The following link does announce 4.6, which as I understand it, is a near equivalent to Adobe
4.5, and this is an important step, but where does the project go from here?
http://incubator.apache.org/flex/

If the Apache Flex wants people to believe in the future of Flex a much better job has to
be done delivering information about possible features considered, features to be included,
plans for development, and release schedules.

Gary

On Jun 27, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Scott Matheson wrote:

> Hi
>    I would say there are a number of issue, HTML / Java script is not the way for complex
development unless you develop with a  commercial tool, then you are back in to tie in problem,
so no  , HTML / Java script is not the answer

> The lack of visibility "marketing" of the community efforts does hurt management view
of the future

> The real issue is the statements from OS providers and apparent lack of flash player
support in new products, Microsoft W8 tiles, new MS pad, flash player in browsers etc. is
just confusing, and unless you have time to understand the details of each and every statement
you just get confused, I know that is the purpose of these companies

> So all this confusion drives you to HTML / Java script
>
> What we want to know is that they is a real effort from the community to create flex
compilers that will generate HTML / Java script or some other run time that gives us back
the build once run any place, IMHO this is the key to keeping enterprises working with Flex,
we have to live with our work for 5-10 years, we need protection from Microsoft, Apple, Google
etc.

> Scott

I see Flex as indicated by the name as flexible and the power and elegance of ActionScript
3 makes one hope that Apache Flex will continue to be successful and continue to collectively
grow.