From Brett Adam <bpja...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the general perception of Apache Flex and Flash in mid 2012?
Date Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:17:28 GMT
IMHO Flex needs to become decoupled from Flash to have continued relevance and an opportunity
to grow.

I'm currently at Velocity in Santa Clara and have heard repeated derisive laughter from large
audiences of IT operations folk whenever Flash has been mentioned by a presenter.

To me this drives home an important point: it's not just the browser providers and device
vendors that dislike Flash: it's the guys that run the severs as well.  Opposition on two
fronts.

As a Flex developer, the prospect of using cobbled together toolkits to do JavaScript dev
leaves me feeling like my fingers have been cut off.

The main reasons are ActionScript3 vs JavaScript and the consistency and breadth of the Flex
framework vs the patchwork of JavaScript components and tooling.

Neither of which should be coupled to Flash IMHO

Oh how I wish AS3 were available in a plain browser.

$0.02

Brett

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 27, 2012, at 7:58, Jeffry Houser <jeffry@dot-com-it.com> wrote:

> On 6/27/2012 10:24 AM, Desai, Ashish S wrote:
>> I think there is a lack of trust among big enterprises investing in Flex, on the
survival story of Flash/Flex. While it is true that for large complex projects Action Script
and Flex are the best platforms, the future of Flash/Flex lies in major OS vendors providing
support for the Flash Player Runtime.
>  Or the future of Flex could like in decoupling the Flex Framework from the Adobe runtimes
of Flash Player and AIR.

>> There has to be a road-map to get off Flex and build in other technologies and frameworks
to mitigate the risk of the unknown future of flex.

> Apache doesn't really work on the "Roadmap" route.  The Flex project is "Staffed" with
a bunch of volunteers with differing commitments and priorities.  That is different from a
formal product from a public corporation.  For all intents and purposes. we do want we want.

>> I think the first line of defense would be for Apache Flex to get into dialog with
Apple, Google, and Microsoft on the support of Flash Player Plugins and Runtimes.