From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.0 RC1
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 07:34:39 GMT

On 1/1/13 11:13 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I'm not sure Apache Flex is allowed to use Github as a end-run around Apache
>> policy.
>
> The installer would not belong to Apache but be a separate project that is
> worked on by people who want to give users of the Flex SDK an easy way to
> install it. All it does it take the binary kit from Apache and download some
> 3rd party software and combine them into a usable SDK. None of that is against
> Apache polity. Users may have less trust in software that comes form outside
> Apache but that is their choice to make.
Well, that group would need approval from Apache to use Flex anywhere in the
name of the installer, but yeah, an independent group of folks can certainly
go off and create their own installer.

I think there is some way to create an installer within Apache Flex that
takes one vote and makes everyone happy.  I'm not sure this is the right
design, but I haven't spent much time thinking about a better way.

>> While I don't like the downloading of the config.xml from the site because I
>> think it will pose the issues I listed in another reply, if we want to go
>> that way, I believe the process is that we have to vote to approve the
>> deployment of the config.xml to the website, then test the installer against
>> it and then vote on the installer.  We could try to do it as one, but my
>> main objection to that is that we won't have tested the installer's code
>> path that downloads the config.xml from the site.  So I think it has to be
>> two votes.
>
> So you really want to impose this process on future release managers, the
> harder the process it the less likely people will want to take it on. It's
> already much more complex than some other Apache projects. Correct me if I
> wrong but I think your saying that  every release of the installer woudl
> require 2 votes and every release of the SDK require 2 or 3 votes?
No, I don't.  I think this is symptomatic of not having the right design.  I
am hopeful we can put our heads together and come up with a better design
"later".  For now though, my five minute of thinking says I would rather go
back and not have the installer download from the site.  The badge installer
would find the config using a relative path just like the standalone
installers.  Then one vote and we're done!  Unless I'm missing something.

>> The main delay is caused by the delay in getting the final dist folder.
>
> Really? Until that is set up we can use /incubator/flex.
IMO, yes.  The config.xml file should look up 4.9 via dist, not incubator.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team