From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.0 RC1
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2013 16:21:34 GMT

On 1/1/13 1:29 AM, "Om" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:

> The config is not part of the source.  There is only a reference to its url
> in the installer app.   The installer was designed with this scenario in
> mind.
>
> A copy is included as a convenience to the developer who uses it.  In that
> sense it is more like a .properties file.
>
> We need to be able to change the sdk version without having to push an
> update to the installer.  Bundling the config xml with the source or binary
> will cause issues .

First, let me start off with saying that this kind of issue is a pain point
for me as well.  Unfortunately, Apache doesn't release just binaries.  I
have definitely considered launching my own "company" to handle the stuff
that Apache doesn't do very well, like binary distributions.

AFAIK, the app cannot run without this file. We author it, it lives in our
SVN, etc., so it is source.  The definition for binary distro is a compiled
version of the source kit.  I don't think you can remove files from the
source distro in making it.

BTW, I'm not very familiar with .htaccess redirects, but I know we have to
clear our builds from the incubator's dist folder when we get our final dist
folder.  Would redirects still work for fetching the old incubator release?

How does the UI handle choosing which version to download?  Justin went to
all of this work to allow different player versions.  We don't want to lock
folks down to the latest Flex version.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team