From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Flex SDK Installer 2.0 RC1
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2013 07:13:47 GMT
Hi,

> I'm not sure Apache Flex is allowed to use Github as a end-run around Apache policy.

The installer would not belong to Apache but be a separate project that is worked on by people
who want to give users of the Flex SDK an easy way to install it. All it does it take the
binary kit from Apache and download some 3rd party software and combine them into a usable
SDK. None of that is against Apache polity. Users may have less trust in software that comes
form outside Apache but that is their choice to make.

> While I don't like the downloading of the config.xml from the site because I
> think it will pose the issues I listed in another reply, if we want to go
> that way, I believe the process is that we have to vote to approve the
> deployment of the config.xml to the website, then test the installer against
> it and then vote on the installer.  We could try to do it as one, but my
> main objection to that is that we won't have tested the installer's code
> path that downloads the config.xml from the site.  So I think it has to be
> two votes.

So you really want to impose this process on future release managers, the harder the process
it the less likely people will want to take it on. It's already much more complex than some
other Apache projects. Correct me if I wrong but I think your saying that  every release of
the installer woudl require 2 votes and every release of the SDK require 2 or 3 votes?

> The main delay is caused by the delay in getting the final dist folder.

Really? Until that is set up we can use /incubator/flex.

Justin