From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] taking Apache Flex to the next level
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 20:25:21 GMT

Quoting Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>:

> On 1/4/13 9:37 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <apache@teotigraphix.com> wrote:
>
>>> Anything we say about the future right now is likely to be met with
>>> suspicion anyway.  I think this is a critical year for Flex.  We have to
>>> build a track record of releases that show that we are making progress.
>>
>> And here in sits the outside view. Since anything that is in
>> whiteboards or not included with releases in the next years will fall
>> on deaf ears... Unless the blog is updated regularly, the website has
>> layman terms explanations of current projects (maybe more conducive to
>> actually clicking links and "discovering what we are about"), right
>> now it looks like a developers site, not a users site. Why would a
>> user venture past the "download" link if it resembles a "how to build
>> the sdk or checkout code.
> True, but would be far better to show examples/tutorials instead of just
> words.

This is really what I was getting at, there is no this is what Apache
Flex does, try it and you will agree.

That is all I meant.

I haven't tried to update the site, but it seems like there is no
> easy way to put up webservices that Flex examples typically use.  This is
> another thing either Spoon needs to do or I need to do with my own
> "company".
>>
>> I'm not a web designer nor have the time for it but that is a HUGE
>> weak link right there and the blog. Plus it's all free advertising
>> that we are not totally taking advantage of.
>>
> Sure, a better site would help, but IMO, a site is helpful when people are
> looking for something, and a blog additionally helps those who have already
> found you.  That's all good, but nothing like going viral.  So far, we have
> not released anything so new or important that it will create the kind of
> buzz that is loud enough to make folks start looking for us especially in
> the face of the headwinds from the past year.  If the JS stuff actually
> becomes something, then that has the chance of being that thing that is
> buzz-worthy.

Yeah well, we both know that kind of tree doesn't grow over night so
it's really not worth talking about and creating a buzz because as you
said, when you do that you want it to be something the average dev can
try and pass onto to others if they like it (IE viral, buzz worthy,
whatever social explicative works).

> I'd love to know what else we could do that would make that kind of noise.
> The Maven stuff maybe?  I'm not sure a better DataGrid would do it.

Talking from the outside, it has to be something that restores faith
in the whole framework. The reason the buzz died down was because
Adobe is gaming now, not RIA. So in essence Apache Flex DOES have to
reinvent itself because a lot of devs I know thinks Flex was all about
the Flash Player and to them it's dead other than gaming which Adobe
still owns stake in. They tout their Gaming SDK, not Flex SDK anymore.

It's a pitty this conversation even exists, but its up to resourceful
people to think about the implications of time and how it can errode
even granite.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC