From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] taking Apache Flex to the next level
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 17:37:39 GMT

Quoting Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>:

> On 1/4/13 8:38 AM, "Erik de Bruin" <erik@ixsoftware.nl> wrote:
>
>> Alex, I see where you're coming from, and I don't necessarily disagree
>> on principle, but your statement does not compute:
>>
>> Success is meeting or exceeding expectations, but this project can't
>> have expectations because of the way it's set up... Does this mean you
>> don't see any way for this project to be successful?
> The further into the future you try to set expectations, the more error you
> are likely to have when you have volunteer workforces, and therefore there
> is a greater chance that you won't meet those expectations.
>
> But good marketing of the present sets expectations properly and folks can
> immediately find out that it not only works as expected, but works better
> than expected.
>
> That's how I think we can be successful as a project.  By cranking out
> releases that solve problems for people and showing people that they can
> solve their problems today.
>
> Anything we say about the future right now is likely to be met with
> suspicion anyway.  I think this is a critical year for Flex.  We have to
> build a track record of releases that show that we are making progress.

And here in sits the outside view. Since anything that is in
whiteboards or not included with releases in the next years will fall
on deaf ears... Unless the blog is updated regularly, the website has
layman terms explanations of current projects (maybe more conducive to
actually clicking links and "discovering what we are about"), right
now it looks like a developers site, not a users site. Why would a
user venture past the "download" link if it resembles a "how to build
the sdk or checkout code.

I'm not a web designer nor have the time for it but that is a HUGE
weak link right there and the blog. Plus it's all free advertising
that we are not totally taking advantage of.

Ans I agree, I can't guarantee I will be here in 1 month let alone 1
year. But Alex is right, the advertisement is about the now.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com