From Om <bigosma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: We need your help testing Flex 4.9 with various Flash Player versions
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:32:00 GMT
On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 12/18/12 9:50 AM, "Om" <bigosmallm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In theory, yes.  But the RCs are changing so fast that it is hard to keep
> > track of. Since the next RC is going to be cut from the release branch, I
> > think testing the release branch should be fine.
>

> Actually, I think I am going to claim that the only "correct" procedure is
> to test the actual RC.  That ensures that nothing went wrong in the
> packaging.  Otherwise, how can you really vote on the RC?  I guess you can
> bin-diff the files in the RC vs the release branch and show that there are
> no differences, but that seems like an extra and slow step.

I disagree.  This excercise has NOTHING to with any Release Candidate.  The
'correct' approach is to first test on all different combinations, ensure
that everything works as we want to claim and then cut a release.  I would
go as far as stopping any new RCs before we get all these test scenarios
completed.

Once an RC is cut, individuals are free to test on whatever platform/flash
player version/AIR version they want and indicate that in their +1 or -1
vote for the RC.

> Also, right now I think that there might be some changes to mustella in the
> develop branch that haven't been sync'd over to release 4.9.  Step 0 in the
> future should be to run mustella on the develop branch before cutting the
> release branch.

Then let us all switch to testing the develop branch first on various
combinations before cutting the release branch.

> My recipe (on Win, will try to run Mac tonight):
>
> -Download the RC.
> -Unzip to a folder (c:\apacheflex4.9)
> -Change the build.properties if you are trying different player version
> -Setup the required environment variables
> -Make sure FLASHPLAYER_DEBUGGER environment variable is pointing to right
> player if you are using a different player version
> -run ant main checkintests
> -Set FLEX_HOME environment variable to the folder
> (FLEX_HOME=c:/apacheflex4.9).  Note the forward slash for Cygwin.
> -Change to develop branch's mustella folder
> -Uncomment and edit local.properties to point sdk.dir to c:/apacheflex4.9
> -run ./mini_run.sh -all
> -run ./mini_run.sh -failures -rerun

You are mixing source trees here (downloaded apache 4.9 vs. develop branch)
 I am not sure what the intent is.

Also, the RC is baked with a version of flash player.  If you are going to
use the RC to test various combinations, then  you are missing the
'compile' step after we change the flash player version.