From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: [FalconJx] New JavaScript runtime format prototype
Date Thu, 20 Dec 2012 18:23:55 GMT

Quoting Frank Wienberg <frank@jangaroo.net>:

> Hi folks,
>
> as mentioned in another thread, I have been working on a new JavaScript
> "runtime", which is what I call the way the generated JavaScript code looks
> and works like. While this thread's title has [FalconJx] in it, there is no
> reason the proposal could not be used for FalconJS, too, but I understood
> that for now, using Google Closure is a given.

Hi Frank,

Just so you know I read this, I wanted to write a couple things.

FalconJS uses the JBurg BURM which was donated by Adobe. I choose the
route of an AST visitor framework that is handcoded for the sake of
development ease and allowing myself to try something with the time I
can a lot for this development. As far as I see, FalconJS is not being
developed by anybody beyond the fact I read everywhere that it
produces "js code". I guess if FlaconJS is going to be considered an
alternative, there has to be developers that can work on it, I'm not
one of them. I spent 1+ years learning antlr grammar and not about to
figure out all the other prerequisites of the FalconJS code.

That being said, I have to be honest that I am in no position to
either agree or argue with what you have produced. Besides the years
of hands on experience you have with JavaScript and ActionScript
issues. I would say you have a thing or to to add here. :)

It seems that right now, there are a handful of developers/community
members involved in this topic of AS -> JS. I don't know what will
change that but, it seems like we will need to decide on something
that works sooner than later.

The truth is, for me to understand what you have done and have an
opinion I would probably need 2 or more weeks to understand what you
have done. :)

I'm probably in the position of, "Show me what you want to generate
based on the semantics involved and I will generate it" mode.

For me, my goal as it stands is to use what I have written to generate
fully compilable ActionScript source code from Falcon's AST model.
Once I have unit tested this, I can focus on the JavaScript side
without thinking about what I have to implement to cover all the AS
conversions.

I wonder what Erik has to say... I would be interested since he has
put time into investigation as well.

So in closing, I really have not developed javascript applications.
I'm interested in this project because having an HTML/JS target for
Flex would allow me to do some of my audio experiments with an HTML
Flex framework in the future for mobile applications.

This allows me the excuse for myself to put as much time into it as I am. :)

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com