From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: [FalconJx] Prototype ActionScript -> JavaScript compiler code up in svn
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:17:15 GMT

Quoting Daniel Wasilewski <devudesign@gmail.com>:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've lost a track on the Falcon JS for a while, (busy freelancing to
> survive and pay my bills), but at time to time visiting the list.
> And don't quite understand the status. Is it like we have 3
> different people working on their own/favourite implementation at
> the same time?

No, We have the FlaconJS over bloated prototype as we call it. And we
have what I just committed to svn. Erik is trying to work on the js
framework level and actionscript component framework.

I know why he is getting upset, he needs to know what design pattern
he is using because that determines how he has to "write" is js code.

I say stick with goog, if Frank wants to use something else he can. If
in the future we find a better way, I will PERSONALLY help change
every freaking line of code Erik. Just focus on goog!

> I've seen Michael done significant progress with his rewrite from scratch.
> But in my mind it wasn't excluding 'goog' approach for JS output
> since he mentioned is not there yet.

Yes, I actually does spit out a bit of goog. I said I was changing
that becasue I wanted and abstract class. Now that I think about it,
Erik may have misinterpreted that as I was "refactoring" goog out,
which is NOT what I said.

I said, I wanted the walker to be agnostic when it comes to javascript
implementation. That is why I also said, this thing is going to spit
out valid ActionScript code before JavaScript.

> I am sure bit and pieces of this puzzle can be put together. And
> even if we have a prototype of Falcon in current form, Michael
> decided to investigate different approach.

Yeah, this was out of survival. There is to much waste in this world
because people half ass stuff, I am not one of those people. I take
pride in my creation and design. If I'm wrong about the
implementation, I don't even care, I will just learn new things. :)

> Some say it is not worth it, but I do appreciate his effort because
> this project is on research state, not production ready. And this
> very project needs solid foundations to start from. We don't want to
> build on top of over-bloated solution only because it has been done.
> I've seen many things done in my life, but quite useless as well.

Agreed, 2/3 of the things created these days are useless, just look at
the millions of abandoned open source projects and this will prove
that point.

> No effort in order to try out different solutions and approaches is wasted.
> And as I said, things can be put together especially by people have
> learn something during research time and have more experience now.

That is why I took a week of MY time to get up in svn a valid
alternate cross compiler, I want to give people hope in a new
direction so it can galvanize a new effort.

What will be, will be.

Mike