From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: ABC -> JS
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 23:33:22 GMT

Quoting Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>:

> On 12/4/12 10:54 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <apache@teotigraphix.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok, I get what you are saying but that is like buying a car with no
>> mechanic within 3000 miles.
> That is true for a significant portion of the AS code as well, not just
> FalconJS.  Carol, Gordon and I didn't write every line.  And many of the
> folks who wrote the rest are no longer at Adobe.

As far as the code in Flex, I disagree that it's the same. I can look
at all the code and understand at least its principle because it's all
in the "same" language/framework layer. There are no abstraction or
alternate layers like with ABC.

>> The way that code is in the project, it
>> feels like a prototype implementation.
> It is most definitely a prototype.
>
>> But I am probably just over thinking... I just have a hard time
>> counting on things I didn't make or can't even talk to the people that
>> made it to ask questions about why and how they did things.
>>
>> At least in most opensource projects you can at least look at the
>> development history.
> Maybe, but when large donations are involved from companies reducing
> investment in the technology, this is probably to be expected.  I would
> imagine OpenOffice is in a similar position.

I knew this would come off sounding self centered when I wrote it.
It's quite obvious things get donated and such, my only point was for
something as core as the JS cross compiler and it's role in the future
of Apache Flex, this has to be understood by someone, sometime or
there will be code rot and various other thing will happen.

I've seen it before, neglect the little water spot on your floor and
eventually you will be falling through it from a rotten floor.

>>> By getting MXML to output data instead of code, there is a lot lower chance
>>> we'll need to change the compiler going forward.
>>
>> And in no way shape or form am I saying don't use what you already
>> have. I have my own reservations and those are just my opinions.
> IMO, someone should challenge every decision Adobe ever made regarding the
> code in Apache Flex.  Sometimes you will make completely different decisions
> based on the people involved and profit motives, etc.

Well I don't challenge things on purpose, only when they don't make
sense from my perspective, I am probably wrong more than half the time
and have put my foot in my mouth more than once in my life.

Don't worry Alex, I'm just trying to rationalize something and I'm
trying to decide if I'm going to spend my time learning ABC to
understand the JSEmitter or do a prototype AST traversal.

You understand where all my rambling is coming from? I'm trying to
weight to pros and cons of each path to travel.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com