From Michael Schmalle <apa...@teotigraphix.com>
Subject Re: ABC -> JS
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2012 17:53:21 GMT

Quoting Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>:

> On 12/4/12 2:24 AM, "Michael Schmalle" <apache@teotigraphix.com> wrote:
>> What makes that code REALLY confusing is although you say he is using
>> AS, there is a huge amount of ABC opcode in that code he wrote.
> Are you talking about JSEmmitter?

I'm talking about the classes in general. My question is, who is going
to maintain this code base in a year? Adobe, our committers that
totally understand all the classes and their implementation?

I want to be in this for the long haul and knowing I can't fix bugs
when I am one of the few that is openly talking about trying to
develop the FalconJS code base bugs me.

>> SO I will say to anybody, in the current state of the FalconJS
>> compiler, you NEED to know opcdes to be able to fix anything.
> I still haven't thought of any advantages to working at the SWF entity
> level.

Either have I other than its another layer of abstraction.

>>> One disadvantage is that you have to have a good understanding of
>>> the ABC format and its opcodes.
>>
>> I would say this is a major disadvantage in this open source environment.
>>
> If you have the time and interest, you are certainly welcome to see if you
> can implement a different strategy to generate the JS straight from the AST.

I hear you Alex, the interest is 110%, the time is another factor. To
do this it would take a lot of time. I'm sure others would join in (I
hope), so it's really just finding the point to try.

I know you understand but a project like that is full language and the
ActionScript language has a lot of elements.

What I will probably start doing is try to convert some expressions,
statements and class structure off of one file, then eventually put
the blocks together. I think this would give myself more manageable
mile posts.

I would like to know if there are any others in this list that are
reading, that might have an interest in some prototyping of this idea?
Anyone out there?

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC