From Gordon Smith <gosm...@adobe.com>
Subject RE: [FalconJx] Prototype ActionScript -> JavaScript compiler code up in svn
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2012 19:31:28 GMT
I would be surprised if the BURM is faster than a simple top-down walk.

The main advantage of using a BURM is that it allows for optimizations to be easily coded
as alternate reductions with lower cost. Typically there are many difference sequences of
bottom-up reductions that could be applied to reduce the tree, and the BURM actually computes
the *lowest-cost*  sequence out of all possible sequences. (It is solving a complicated optimization
problem, although in an efficient way.)

As a trivial example, in addition to writing a reduction for

    expression + expression

that reduces

    a + b

to instructions like

    push a
    push b
    add

and

    1 + 2

to (inefficient) instructions like

    push 1
    push 2
    add

you can write a reduction for

    constant + constant

and assign it a lower "cost" so that

    1 + 2

reduces to

    push 3

In the case of JavaScript, I'll bet that today's JavaScript engines are good at doing various
optimizations, so I don't see why an AS->JS cross-compiler needs to do them in advance
using a BURM.

- Gordon