From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [FalconJx] Prototype ActionScript -> JavaScript compiler code up in svn
Date Mon, 17 Dec 2012 12:00:39 GMT
That's great to hear!

I for one, am very happy to hear that you're still committed to this. The possibilities are
incredible. You made some pretty strong arguments for the hybrid Randori kind of approach.
Of course, the arguments are strongest when dealing with large teams so you have separate
people working on the UI and business logic. I'm pretty encouraged over the prospect that
there will be multiple ways of leveraging ActionScript / Flex in web applications. Having
the option of choosing the Randori type of approach or cross-compiling actual components would
really broaden the viability of Flex moving forward.

Things are definitely getting more and more interesting around here. :-)

Harbs

On Dec 16, 2012, at 10:31 PM, Michael A. Labriola wrote:

>> I've been following this whole discussion in the background with a lot of interest.
I don't have much to contribute at this point, so I've been quiet. Mike L., I know you were
somewhat disillusioned by the amount of >time it took Adobe to get Flacon/ Flacon JS contributed.
Is there anything from your Randori work (very interesting by the way!) that would be useful
for this project?

> There is a ton. Actually, I have been watching Mike S.'s progress and am really excited
by the prospects. When things are ready, I just need to make sure we have an appropriate extension
hook in Falcon where we can hook the AST before code generation (that is what we are doing
in Randori now for C#). Then we can port our extension to Falcon as well and Randori will
work regardless of whether you are coding in C# or in AS, which was always the goal.

> It's also not the I was necessarily disillusioned. Its more that, in the absence of having
a compiler to work on here, I wanted to prove the concept and refine what I believe the be
the right way to move forward in the browser. The C# compiler gave me a way to do that immediately
and I was just more about doing than waiting. In no way have I abandoned what we are doing
here. I think bug fixing and working on the existing framework is really important, but I
personally don't see Flash Player as our way forward, so, for the hours I had, I felt that
the best way I could help us all was to learn what it really takes to deploy an enterprise
app in JS and how to get there.