From Hordur Thordarson <hor...@lausn.is>
Subject Re: [POLL] - Must Flex 5 be a complete rewrite or can flex code base be re-architectured?
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 16:10:03 GMT
Well, I got the feeling that some users on this list were advocating a total rewrite asap rather
than maintaining and improving the current codebase.  A new Flex framework, built in Haxe
or some other language than AS3/MXML is a totally new framework that will have no support
for the current codebase, which means I'm either stuck with the current technology or I have
to rewrite all my stuff and unfortunately rewrites just-for-the-fun-of-it are hard to sell
to clients.

I agree that the strategy should be maintain and enhance the current framework while planning/preparing
for the future.

Yes, unfortunately Steve Jobs managed to kill Flash in mobile browsers (ok, other things contributed
as well :-), so I can't deploy to Flash player in mobile browsers, but AIR is a perfectly
usable solution to that problem so I can easily deploy to an app for Android/iOS with the
same code base.

> "writing yet another Gui framework on top of HTML/JS/CSS"
> Noone is proposing such a thing.
> Flex needs to be cross platform and with OOP language.

I didn't mean that a new Flex would be written IN Html/Js/Css.  But some see the solution
to the Adobe VM dependency being to deploy to Html/Js/Css, generated by Haxe or some other
tool.  I don't, not because there is anything wrong with Haxe or whatever other tool would
be used, but simply because HTML5 still has years to go before it can support the data-rich
apps that Flex in Flash player/AIR excels at, and that can't be fixed at the compiler level
because in the end you just get Html/Js/Css that the browser executes, with all the plusses
and minuses that come with that technology stack.

> But the question is: does keeping AS3 make it possible to target OTHER runtimes like
HTML5, or any other new in the future?

I guess the answer to that is probably no.
Another question though would be do you want to target HTML5 as a runtime ?  I certainly don't
for now at least and many small miracles have to happen in the HTML/browser world for that
to change for me.  Keep in mind that most mobile development development today fex is via
native apps.  This is because the HTML5 browser apps can't compete either on the development
side or on the execution/functionality side.

> "Which means that there is plenty of time to wait for other, better deployment possibilities
to come along"
> I don't understand what and from who you are waiting somthing new for such a purpose?

Well, I guess I don't know either what it would be or where it would come from :-)
I just want to deploy to desktop browsers and mobile apps, preferably with the same or mostly
same source code.  If smth other than AS3/Adobe AVM allows me to do that with the same ease
and power, AND it has less risks attached than sticking with AS3/Adobe VM, then I'd probably
use that.

On 16.11.2012, at 14:34, sébastien Paturel wrote:

> i don't see any conflit here.
> it's timeframe consideration.
> In short term we maintain and make little enhancements (like better performances, with
starling for example) to the current framework which has still viability for several years
(not over 5 i think)
> And we prepare the long term, with a new code base rewrite.
>
> If you develop browser based front-ends you already has an issue with flex, as it will
not run in tablets browsers !

> "writing yet another Gui framework on top of HTML/JS/CSS"
> Noone is proposing such a thing.
> Flex needs to be cross platform and with OOP language.
>
> "The runtime is free, easy to get and works the same in every browser almost since time
began"
> Changing the source language does not mean that we don't deploy to the flash runtimes.
> Haxe is doing that very well.
> But the question is: does keeping AS3 make it possible to target OTHER runtimes like
HTML5, or any other new in the future?

> "Which means that there is plenty of time to wait for other, better deployment possibilities
to come along"
> I don't understand what and from who you are waiting somthing new for such a purpose?
>

> Le 16/11/2012 15:07, Hordur Thordarson a écrit :
>
>> Good points made by Ben and I totally agree that the rewrite-or-not decision cannot
be made without first knowing if this project is to be about maintaining and improving the
current Flex framework, or about creating a new and then possibly very different framework
with little or no legacy support.

>> I develop browser based database front-ends and I have to say that there is nothing
out there that comes anywhere close to rivaling the maturity, abilities, development speed
and deployment conveniance of the current Flex/Flash player combo.  So while I understand
the problem of being tied to the AS3 VM and Flash player, unfortunately this same combo is
a big part of what makes Flex attractive to enterprize developers.  The runtime is free, easy
to get and works the same in every browser almost since time began.  Building database front-ends
and data vizualisation tools in HTML/JS/CSS requires you to give up a large chunk of your
sanity, because the technology is immature and non-standardized, the toolset is years behind
what Flex has and at deployment time you have to deal with endless browser diffs and bugs.

>> So I certainly had hoped that Apache Flex would be about improving the current framework
rather than ditching it and writing yet another Gui framework on top of HTML/JS/CSS.

>> My opinion is, having read what there is to be had, about Adobe's intentions with
the Flash player and ActionScript, that Flash player isn't going anywhere.  And while it is
there, it will most likely include the AS3 VM just like it has had the AS2 VM for years.
Which means that there is plenty of time to wait for other, better deployment possibilities
to come along.

>> On 16.11.2012, at 13:55, Joan Llenas Masó wrote:
>>
>>> Flex to me is:
>>> 1. Cross browser/platform
>>> 2. MXML.
>>> 3. Modularity
>>> 4. Spark architecture
>> I would agree with this, BUT, and for many of us I think this is a big BUT, I would
add #5 which is the extremely easy, well known deployment of client apps to any desktop where
Flash player is available.