From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: AW: AW: AW: AW: AW: [POLL] Maven and Apache Flex
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:49:03 GMT

On 11/30/12 9:41 AM, "Bertrand Delacretaz" <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>> ...Anyway, I would like your thoughts on Adobe Legal's desire to review the
>> way
>> the code will work before it gets checked into SVN....
>
> My opinion is that if someone requires people to accept a license
> agreement before downloading stuff, it's a server-side problem.
> Whatever client tool is used, if the server exposes the content via
> http without credentials and a secure connection, it's very easy to
> bypass the client.
>
> The way Oracle solves that for Java is that the VMs that require
> accepting something are only available via a web page where you have
> to login and click through an agreement - that's not fun, but I'm not
> sure there's a better way if the owner of those bits insists on
> *people* agreeing to something before downloading.

It appears that Adobe doesn't want to invest in a login infrastructure, they
just want you to have made one easy positive action.  I think I see that a
lot when downloading stuff from other places as well.

> I don't think the "develop the secret bits in a hidden place" makes
> sense in a world where javap exists ;-)
I don't think Adobe never wants the code to be open.  They just want to make
sure that it meets their legal requirements before it gets opened.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team