incubator-flex-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Carlos Rovira <carlos.rov...@codeoscopic.com>
Subject Re: Summary of the SVN/Git acccess
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 22:32:10 GMT
"In the meantime, I'm plugging along in SVN.  If you want to use the fact
we're on SVN as an excuse for not contributing, fine, but really, I don't
find that very convincing"

I'm not excusing me with VCS, but it's a fact that back in August I had the
time to contribute and experience a lots of burocratic problems that make
me see how dificult was to make some little changes, compared to the time
invested. Then as soon as I return from vacation, real work was the main
task in the day and available time was very few in a day, so I see I
couldn't have sufficient time to contribute if the project was still hang
in SVN. I then decided to wait until things move taking into account the
info at that time that infra was setting up things to get a good official
GIT support. As you say is not an excuse but in my case my own day
ocupation with the actual apache environment has make me not able to
contribute.


2012/11/8 Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com>

> Yesterday Carol and I spoke to one of the guys from Cordova who just
> graduated to TLP.  They were using Git via GitHub before going to Apache
> and
> continue to use Git in Apache, but have lost the GitHub features and
> therefore are still jumping through hoops in some ways.  For example, he
> said you can't close a pull request on GitHub (whatever that means).
>
> So it isn't going to be as smooth as just having everything on GitHub even
> if we push Infra to get us on Git now.  The Cordova folks are trying to get
> involved helping Infra improve Git support.  We (Apache Flex) still need a
> volunteer or two, it seems.
>
> In the meantime, I'm plugging along in SVN.  If you want to use the fact
> we're on SVN as an excuse for not contributing, fine, but really, I don't
> find that very convincing.
>
>
>
>
> On 11/8/12 4:59 AM, "Carlos Rovira" <carlos.rovira@codeoscopic.com> wrote:
>
> > mmmm...so, if this is true, I think this should be moved ASAP since this
> > was voted some months ago, and this is one of the brakes of this project.
> > I'm sure that if we modernize version control with git and github people
> > would be contributing more easily with pull requests.
> >
> > So, hope we could see official and real git and github support soon.
> >
> > Thanks Chris for such important note!
> >
> > Carlos
> >
> >
> >
> > 2012/11/8 christofer.dutz@c-ware.de <christofer.dutz@c-ware.de>
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> sorry for mass posting this week ... it's just that I'm doing a lot of
> >> talking to other guys form Apache here at the ApacheCon.
> >>
> >> Yesterday I have to admit that I was sort of confused after reading the
> >> posts on this list about Subversion, Git and which repos are available
> and
> >> how changes are transfered to what repos. So at lunch I saw Gavin from
> the
> >> infrastructure team sitting on the table next to me, so I sort of took
> the
> >> opportunity to clarify stuff for me. I thought this might be interesting
> >> for the rest ... so here goes:
> >>
> >> Currenntly each project under the hood of Apache has two choices:
> >>
> >> Choice number one: Subversion (Currently used by Flex)
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------
> >> In this case there is a subversion repo available. This is currently
> what
> >> the flex project uses.
> >>
> >> There is a svn repo available at
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/{top-level-project-name}<
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/%7btop-level-project-name%7d> or
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/{incubator-project-name}<
> >> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/%7bincubator-project-name%7d
> >.
> >> For flex this is: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/flex/sdk
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Each SVN repo is automatically cloned to Github
> >> https://github.com/apache/flex' repo is available under
> >> https://github.com/apache/flex-sdk
> >>
> >> If the Subversion repo is updated, this change is automatically
> replicated
> >> to the github repo in about 5 minutes. However changes to the Github
> repo
> >> are NOT AUTOMATICALLY sent back to the subversion repository. This has
> to
> >> be done manually.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Every project can REQUEST to have a read-only git repo hosted at
> >> http://git.apache.org/ for the flex project this is git://
> >> git.apache.org/flex-sdk.git on the http://git.apache.org/ page there
> are
> >> also some links to both the git.apache.org as well as the github
> clones.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Choice number two: Git
> >> -------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Currently Apache seems to offer it's projects the alternative to use git
> >> as a central repository. This is available under:
> >> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/ but the Project has to officially
> request
> >> this to be changed. In contradiction to the "BIG FREAKING NOTE<
> >> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/docs/switching-to-git.html#contents>" on
> >> the page, it seems that project are allready using this. As the "wip =
> Work
> >> in Progress" suggests, the url will certainly change in the near future.
> >>
> >> Syncing this with github should be easyly handled.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> The process of swithing seems to be that at a given time the project
> >> confirms that the current state of the git-readonly-clone should be
> used as
> >> base of the new git repo and then simply that repo is cloned to:
> >> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/. The only thing that would stay in
> >> subcersion would be the content of the website, as this currently
> doesn't
> >> support git.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Hope I got everything right :)
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> Chris
> >>
> >
> >
>
> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui
>
>


-- 
Carlos Rovira
Director de TecnologĂ­a
M: +34 607 22 60 05
F:  +34 912 35 57 77
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.directwriter.es
http://www.avant2.es

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message