From Erik de Bruin <>
Subject Falcon compiler(.tests) building
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2012 17:55:22 GMT

I have followed the various instructions and was able to successfully
build the Falcon compiler. Along the way I encountered several issues
that are not yet documented (I'm on OS X 10.8):

- I needed to edit the 'build.xml' file on line 50, to point the
'sdk.branch' property to the correct location of the SDK on my system;
- when trying to use the mxmlc on a project, I got 'permission
denied'. Setting the executable bit on the file corrected that;

After that I was able to run from the command line and successfully
build "", which ran fine in the standalone Flash debugger.

So I proceed to get the projects 'compiler' and 'compiler.tests' to
work in in Eclipse. After importing them, I get a 'problem' on each
- on 'compiler', I got a message about 'ANT_JAR', which after I
re-created that variable in the project build path and pointed it to
'ant.jar' on my system, went away;
- on 'compiler.tests' I got "missing required library
'lib/junit-4.10.jar'". Editing the entry in the 'build path/Libraries'
fixed that.

I got 'build.xml' on 'compiler' working in Eclipse after adding:

<property name="env.JFLEX_JAR"

Then I ran 'build.xml' on 'compiler.tests' and that completed, but
with plenty of FAILED tests (which I guess is expected?).

So, my environment seems to be set up. Now: how can I help?

Note: I'm a noob on the topic of compilers, but I can copy-paste like
a Boss, so I'm sure you can use me ;-) Point me to the code and put me
to work!

Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht