From Frédéric THOMAS <webdoubl...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: About Flex runtime
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 02:51:39 GMT

US but it didn't change anything)

-----Message d'origine-----
From: Alex Harui
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2012 6:37 AM
To: flex-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: About Flex runtime

On 10/28/12 9:55 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> The SDK should not need to be built for particular player versions.
>
> Currently 4.8 requires 11.1 (specified as minimum player version in
> flex-config.xml) which means as far as I'm aware you can't compile an
> application using the current SDK and make it run in flash player 11.0 or
> below. To do so you need to recompile the SDK against the version (say
> 11.0)
> you want to run it in. Am I mistaken here?
Theoretically, the abc code in each SWC is the same regardless of which
playerglobal you compile against (except for the swf-version in the
library.swf in the swc, and unless there is some 11.x specific APIs in use
somewhere, which I think you didn't find any.  So, the only reason to choose
a particular playerglobal at build time is for specific player APIs that
were introduced in that version.   The swf-version in the swc is ignored.
The abc code from the swc is linked into the app and the swf-version at that
compile is put in the swf and dictates everything at runtime.

And, in fact, I built the components/Label mustella SWFs using playerglobal
11.1 and then ran the SWFs on 10.3 and they all ran fine other than the
bitmap compare mismatches.

> Would compiling the SDK for a higher version of the flash player give you
> possible performance benefits as it also changes the swf version (also
> specified in the flex-config.xml)?
I'm pretty sure two of the reasons Flex kept forcing player upgrades was for
performance improvements and bug fixes in the player.  But are any of them
"critical"?  I don't really know.  I personally don't want to take the time
to run all of mustella against older and new versions (at least, right now),
but I am certainly interested in the results from anyone who wants to take
that on.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team